NJ Car Accident While Working – Permanent Total vs. Permanent Partial Workers’ Comp Benefits

Philip Ciprietti, NJ Car & Truck Accident Lawyer

Philip Ciprietti offers clients a genuine interest in their well-being and success and places clients’ interests first in all matters. Since 1982, Mr. Ciprietti has been certified by the NJ Supreme Court as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney.

Review: "His commitment and his willingness to go the extra mile, to fight hard for you make Phil an outstanding attorney. He is the one you want on your side." Read more testimonials.

FAQ: What are permanent total benefits and permanent partial benefits? What are the differences and can I receive both after a car accident while I was making a delivery for work?

Answer: Permanent total benefits and permanent partial benefits are types of workers’ compensation benefits NJ workers may be eligible to receive after being injured while at work. However, these 2 types of benefits are only available to injured workers depending on their injuries and the extent of how the injuries affect the injured workers on a permanent basis.

Permanent Total Disability Benefits

Sometimes, when NJ workers or employees are injured while at work, their injuries are catastrophic and so serious that they cannot return to their previous jobs or any type of gainful employment. They are permanently disabled, and their disabilities prevent them from working for the rest of their lives. Injured workers are then eligible to receive permanent total disability benefits. Injured workers receive 70% of their (gross) average weekly average wage (not to exceed the statutory maximum rate or fall below the statutory minimum rate) for 450 weeks. Thereafter, they continue to receive the benefits for life so long as they show that they are still unable to return to any type of gainful employment.

Related: NJ Workers’ Compensation Benefits – Permanent Total Benefits

Permanent Partial Benefits

Permanent partial benefits are for workers who are permanently disabled, but can return to work. These benefits are also for workers whose injuries prevent them from returning to their previous jobs, but they can find other jobs. For example, a NJ worker in a chemical plant loses vision in his left eye after an accident inside the plant. Though he is able to return to work, he is permanently disabled because he lost vision in one of his eyes. In this case, he is eligible to receive permanent partial benefits. The amount he may receive is based on a percentage of “scheduled” or “nonscheduled” losses provided by the NJ Division of Workers’ Compensation. Loss of an eye is considered a “scheduled” loss.

Related: NJ Workers’ Compensation Benefits – Permanent Partial Benefits

Because these 2 types of benefits are completely different from each other, an injured worker may not receive both of these benefits.

Because you were injured in a car accident while making a delivery for work, you are eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits. Depending on your injuries, you may qualify for permanent partial benefits or permanent total disability benefits.

Therefore, it is important that you talk to a NJ workers’ compensation lawyer to help you receive the maximum workers’ comp benefits you are entitled to.

FREE consultations from a Mt. Laurel, Marlton, NJ workers’ comp lawyer. Call 800.281.8695 to schedule your FREE legal consultation.

DISCLAIMER: This website does not create any attorney-client relationship or provide legal advice.  Read full disclaimer at the bottom of this page.

NJ Workers’ Comp Law Articles

New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Law – Can Workers Receive Workers’ Comp Benefits if Injured While on Coffee Breaks?

In general, NJ workers are eligible to receive workers' comp benefits if their injuries arise out of and in the course of employment. The definition of "employment" is defined by N.J.S.A. 34:15-36, which provides: Employment shall be deemed to commence when an...

NJ Workers’ Compensation Benefits – Reporting to Employer After a Workplace Accident

FAQ: I was injured at work, but didn’t report it right away. What should I do now? Can I still report my claim? Will my claim be denied? Answer:  Because I don’t know when your accident happened, I will just answer your question generally. You should report your work...

Cherry Hill, NJ Workers’ Comp Law – Injured in Employer’s Parking Lot While Going to or Leaving Work

As discussed in the firm’s  NJ workers' comp legal articles, injured employees are eligible to receive workers' comp benefits if they were injured during the course of their employment. What if an employee is injured while going to work or leaving work? The general...

NJ Car Accidents – What is a Workers’ Comp Lien in the Context of a Car or Truck Accident?

After a NJ worker receives workers' compensation benefits as a result of being injured in a workplace accident, he has to pay back a portion of the benefits to the workers' comp carrier if he receives any financial compensation from a third party lawsuit. In general,...

Cherry Hill, NJ Workers’ Comp Law- Injured While Pulling Out of Employer’s Parking Lot

NJ workers are generally ineligible to receive workers' compensation benefits for injuries which occur while going to or leaving the workplace. For example, a worker injured in a car or pedestrian accident while leaving the office would probably be ineligible for...



    *No attorney-client relationship is created by use of this email form. Do not email confidential or time-sensitive information. Call the firm for immediate assistance.


    79 S. Maple Avenue
    Marlton, NJ 08053
    Phone: 856.983.8695
    Fax: 856.983.0015
    Toll Free: 800.281.8695

    Google Map/Directions